Saturday, March 12, 2011

The words DO hurt.

Boy is this comic ever true!

I have had cruel words spoken to me and about me, as I'm sure most everyone has, and they cut me to my heart, and I will never forget them. It would have been easier to be physically hurt than the hurt that those words have caused. A broken bone will heal, but careless hurtful words are not soon, if ever, forgotten.

The Bible has a lot to say about the tongue.

Proverbs 10:19
When words are many, sin is not absent,
but he who holds his tongue is wise.

Proverbs 11:12
A man who lacks judgment derides his neighbor,
but a man of understanding holds his tongue.

Proverbs 12: 18 & 19
Reckless words pierce like a sword,
but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
Truthful lips endure forever,
but a lying tongue lasts only a moment.

Proverbs 21:23
He who guards his mouth and his tongue
keeps himself from calamity.

James 1:26
If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.

James 3: 5-8
Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6 The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. 7 All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, 8 but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

I Peter 3:10
"Whoever would love life
and see good days
must keep his tongue from evil
and his lips from deceitful speech.

These are just a small sampling of what the Bible has to say about that smallest of offending organs in our body.

At Revive our Hearts they have a series about the tongue called "The Power of Words". I would encourage everyone to listen to this series to learn what God says about the tongue, how it can be used for good or for evil, how it can give life or bring death, and how our words have the power to heal or the power to hurt. I've been blessed by these broadcasts, and I'm sure you will be too.

If something good could come from the experience I've had with how words can be evil, kill my spirit, and hurt immensely, it is that I've learned it is better to keep silent than say a careless word; because sometimes, without even realizing it, you can hurt someone with carelessly spoken words. The old adage "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" are WORDS to live by!

No comments:

Post a Comment