Friday, February 19, 2010

New Additions??? Continued.....

Day 5. Feb 19 - Not too much to report today. No new eggs yet. The only new behavior, is that Rosy Cotton has proceeded to throw almost ALL of the nesting material OUT of the nest box! Boy, what a mess! There are wood shavings EVERYWHERE! LOL

Budgies in the wild don't use any kind of nesting material. They just lay their eggs in a hollow tree. The use of nesting material is said to improve incubation. It also helps to prevent a condition called "splayed leg" in the babies. This is where one or both of the babies legs begin to turn outwards, like a severe case of knocked knees. What happens is, the baby isn't able to get a firm grip on anything in the nest and their legs keep sliding outwards, resulting in splayed leg.

The very first budgies I ever raised were "accidents", so I wasn't prepared. Mama bird just laid the eggs in the bottom of the cage and incubated them there. I did not expect for the eggs to hatch, so when they did.....BOY was I surprised!! Because of the incorrect surface, one of the babies ended up getting splayed leg. I was able to correct the problem by putting a splint (made of a small piece of sponge) on the babies legs. I was then forced to hand feed the baby. I named her "Pip", and to this day she is my favorite budgie, and my most friendly budgie.

Here you can see Pip with the splint on her legs.

















Here I am hand feeding her.















Here is Pip (she's the white one on the left) with her sister Merry. Her legs are perfect! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment