Wednesday, February 24, 2010

New Additions??? Continued.....

Day 10. Feb. 24 - I think maybe this will be a two egg clutch (which isn't unusual, a clutch can be anywhere from 2-8 eggs, with the most normal clutch of 6 eggs). I think Rosy has begun incubating the eggs. She is spending almost all of her time in the nest box and only comes out if something or someone approaches the breeding cage. I checked the nest box this morning, and the eggs were warm to the touch, an indication that she has been sitting on them.

Incubation period is 18-20 days, so if all goes well, the first chick should hatch on or about March 12th.

It's still possible that Rosy will continue to lay eggs even though she is sitting. The last clutch of babies I had each hatch a day or two apart, so by the time the last egg hatched, the first chick was MUCH bigger. Here is a picture.
You can definitely see which one is the oldest compared to the youngest! These babies are now grown, in fact...one of these babies is Rosy Cotton! (though I couldn't tell you which one without doing some research of my files...)

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe that birds start out so... well... homely! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I suppose they have a face only a mother could love! LOL I think of them as "so ugly they are cute".

    ReplyDelete