Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Suffering? It's all worth it!

I would have to say that I have had my share of suffering in my life.

Some of the things that I have gone through are what would be characterized as the "paper cuts of life", those things that aren't life shattering, but are certainly annoyances.

Other things could qualify as more than "paper cuts". The last few years, I would have to say, have not been the most fun. I've dealt with a stomach ailment, that for many months was of unknown origin, and once a diagnosis was made, it meant a complete change of lifestyle; we've dealt with a conflict with Scott's daughters that has not had a good outcome; and a year ago Scott lost his job. Each of these problems on their own would be fairly manageable, but toss them all together and I will have to say....I was a mess!

About 6 months ago, I was really beginning to doubt a lot of things. I was in such a state of depression that I was even beginning to doubt God. I didn't doubt that God existed....but the thoughts that I was having were that of "If God loves me, why are these things happening? If God loves me, why won't he heal me?" It has been a long process for me to work through these thoughts. With a lot of prayer, and immersing myself in Scripture and other Godly things, I'm beginning to make sense of it. Here are a few things that I've learned.

1. Just because you are a Christian doesn't mean that trouble won't come, in fact, just the opposite is true. Romans 8:17 "Now if we are children, then we are heirs --heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory."
2. Suffering is a result of sin, not that suffering is necessarily a punishment for a specific sin, but because sin is in the world suffering is a natural result. Romans 5:12 "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned"
3. That if the suffering is because of Christ, then I can rejoice! Luke 6:22-23 "Blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man. Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their fathers treated the prophets."
4. God allows suffering to draw His children to Him and to produce perseverance. If my life was always a "bowl of cherries", then I would not have a need for God. I would never have to pray to Him, or depend on Him, and my faith would whither. Romans 5:3-5 "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

Though I still don't like my suffering, I can see now why it is necessary and I can honestly say that I am closer to God now than I have ever been, and I am more at peace than I have ever been. Are my problems gone? No. I'm still not healed, Scott's daughters still aren't talking to us, and Scott is still unemployed (though God is providing for us is some very creative ways!)

So what HAS changed? My attitude. I've discovered that:
1. In every problem you have to put it in perspective. Nothing that I have gone through can measure up to what the people in Haiti have suffered, or what a close personal friend suffered a year ago with the murder of her son.
2. Think of the positive, don't dwell on the problem.
3. Count your blessings. I know that sounds simplistic, but it's true. If you actually take the time to list all the things you have to be thankful for, then the problems don't seem so big.
4. Most of all remember that in all things, God is faithful. He will provide for us out of His glorious riches. (Philippians 4:19)
Ephesians 3:20-21 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."

This life, with all of it's problems, is fleeting. It is just a tiny speck in comparison to eternity. How thankful I am that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will spend eternity with Jesus in Heaven where there is no pain, no sickness, no tears, no death.

If in this moment that I spend on earth, I suffer because of Christ, or in my suffering I am drawn closer to Christ....then it is all worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Some of the greatest comfort to me in suffering is knowing that God is not surprised or overwhelmed, and that complaining to him will not drive him away.

    Now, complaining might not be the best word choice -- I think there are ways of complaining that are better than others. Complaining to God just seems better than, say, complaining against God, even if God is part of the subject of my complaint.

    As my late therapist said, wrestling is a form of intimacy. It's not wonderful to need to wrestle, but if you do need to wrestle, God is merciful, as with Jacob.

    ReplyDelete