Wednesday, March 24, 2010

New Additions??? Not this time :(

Well, I made the tough decision and cleaned out the nest box....no babies this time. I decided to do it because a couple of days ago I noticed that one of the eggs had gotten cracked, and I knew that it wouldn't hatch so I discarded it. Then last night, I noticed that Rosy had thrown (purposely or by accident...I don't know) another of the eggs out of the box. I candled the eggs again, and only one looked fertile, and that one didn't look "right". I don't think Rosy incubated them correctly. All of the other "mama" birds I've had experience with, once they started incubating....NOTHING would get them off of the eggs. Rosy was on and off of the eggs too much. I think that is something that will change with experience.

I'm going to give them a month "off" to gain their strength. Then I will put the nest box back and see what happens. If nothing happens on the second attempt, I will have to wait until the Fall to try again. I don't like having babies during the summer months because I am too busy to take care of them.

I'm bummed, but..."if at first you don't succeed....try, try again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment