Monday, March 15, 2010

New Additions???? Will they EVER hatch???

Day 29 March 15 - I'm wondering if any of the eggs will hatch. According to my calculations, the first egg should have hatched on the 12th. I was figuring it might be off by a few days.

On Saturday I "candled" the eggs. That means I held each egg up to a bright light to see if they were fertilized. The eggs are so tiny, so it was no small feat, but I THINK at least 3 of the eggs are fertile. None of them looked like they were to the point that they would be hatching any time soon.

I'm still not sure if Rosy is incubating them correctly. I can't see inside the box without lifting the lid and whenever I approach the cage she scurries out of the box.

If I start calculating the hatch date starting with the day the last egg was laid, the first chick should hatch on the 22nd or 23rd. I figured it would be sooner than that though, because she started staying in the nest box consistently after the 2nd egg was laid. If I calculate the hatch date starting with the day the 2nd egg was laid, the first chick should have hatched by now. So I guess, if they are going to hatch, it could happen anytime between now and the 23rd. I will give it until the end of the month, if the eggs haven't hatched by then, they never will and I will have to throw them out and have Rosy and Rodney start all over again! I would be bummed if that happened.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, me too. I'm feeling a little invested (or "inNESTed" (groan, bad pun)!

    ReplyDelete