Friday, February 18, 2011

February Frolics

February is a busy month for us.

1.) February 12th is Scott and my Wedding Anniversary. This year we celebrated our 17th Anniversary. We don't ordinarily do a whole lot for our Anniversary. The weather in February is usually bad and we never have much money for a babysitter, etc., so most years we just stay home.

This year, however, we decided to go out. The kids are old enough to be home for a few hours alone. We went to South Bend to Shipshewana on the Road. It was a fun time. I had never been before, but have always wanted to go and since it fell on our Anniversary this year, it seemed the perfect opportunity. I told Scott that it must be a sign of my maturity (or my age) however you want to look at it, that I strolled through all those booths and didn't find anything I wanted to buy!

After that, we went to Target and Kohl's and the Christian Bookstore. I think Kohl's is my new "favorite store". They have TONS of clothes and most of them are on sale! Even up to 80% off! I got myself a pair of dress pants and 2 nice tops! Then we ate dinner at Chick-fil-A. We got some take-out at McDonalds for the kids, so I wouldn't have to cook supper. It was a very nice day! It had been a very long time since Scott and I had spent the day together alone, and it was nice!

I told Scott that for our 20th Wedding Anniversary, I want to take a trip...just the 2 of us. Just for a couple of days. Travis will be 16 and Olivia 14. They will be old enough to be alone for a night or 2, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with them alone for longer than that! I'm thinking about having Scott plan the whole trip, and surprise me!

2.) Valentine's Day: Because our Anniversary is 2 days before Valentine's Day we have always just combined the 2 events, so our day out was also my Valentine's gift.

3.) The 18th is Travis's birthday! This year he turned 13!!! I still can't believe I have a teenager in the house!

I think I still have few more years of my "little boy" though. He still wanted a theme this year (he picked Sonic the Hedgehog). And he still wanted toys for presents. I'm glad, because I think he is growing up too quickly as it is!

We didn't really have a "party" per se', but he did want to have a couple of friends over to help celebrate his becoming a "teenager." Of course his sister Olivia was there.
And his cousin who lives next door, Curtis. Curtis is going through the "don't take my picture!" stage.
And his best friend from church, Emily Feece was also there.

For Christmas a friend gave me a calendar that has a different Bible verse for each day. I think it is very appropriate that on this day the verse was:

Psalm 37:23-24

" The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord

and he delighteth in his way.

Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down

for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand."

That is my prayer for Travis. That he will grow up to be a good man that delights in the things of the Lord, and that he will know that he is held in the hand of the Lord.

The rest of the month will be fairly quiet. But that's a good thing because March brings Scott's birthday, April brings my birthday and Easter, and May brings Olivia's birthday! So the next few months will be extra special in our house!






1 comment:

  1. Cheryl,

    Congrats to you and Scott on your 17th anniversary! Seems hard to believe. I do remember the day. One thing that stands out to me is that Scott was sick with some kind of food poisoning. However, you guys made it through what turned out to be a beautiful wedding! Praise God for His faithfulness these many years. Congratulations again to you and Scott. We miss you guys and think of you often! :-) -Pastor Rob

    ReplyDelete