Sunday, February 6, 2011

Taking the Power Back

Back in June of 2010 I had an incident where a couple of people (non-Christians) said some things about me that were very hurtful and untrue. I have been carrying this around all this time, allowing it to cause depression.

Today in church the pastor was talking about when people wrong you, and what your response to it should be. He said that when someone says things bad about you (bully you), even though it hurts, you should think of it this way:
1.) Their words and actions are really showing me how truly sinful, lost, and apart from God they really are.
2.) That person is not God....they don't know you the way God does. They do not have the power of God, unless you allow what was said to affect you in such a way that would cause you to sin, or if you allow it to cause you to go into depression. If you do that, then you are giving them power.

That really hit home with me. That is exactly what I have been doing. I was allowing them to continue to have power over me. I am taking the power back, and giving it to God who really knows me.

If you love God and try to live according to His Word there will be persecution, but the eternal reward will be worth it if you continue to persevere.

Hebrews 12:1-2
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment