Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Lenten Season

I've always thought of things like Advent and Lenten as Catholic traditions, but I've recently discovered that many protestants celebrate these things as well.

A couple of years ago, I bought the kids these disposable Advent Calendars that had a piece of chocolate under each window for the 24 days leading up to Christmas. They had so much fun with those that I did it again this year. I couldn't find the ready-made calendars in the store, so I made them myself. We made it a part of our daily devotions time, and it was really wonderful. Before next Christmas, I plan to make an Advent Calendar that can be used over and over. I got this idea from a friend, and am planning to make one. Or I may make this one.

I was listening to Revive Our Hearts radio program yesterday, and the hostess Nancy Leigh DeMoss mentioned that they will be celebrating the Lenten Season with special programming starting the first day of Lent (March 9th) and running until Easter. They will be going through the book The Incomparable Christ by Oswald Sanders, and will follow the themes covered in that book. I am planning to get the book and listen each day as they go through it. I also got to thinking Lenten Season would be a nice thing to incorporate into our homeschooling, as I did with Advent. So, for the next couple of weeks I will be gathering information and ideas to do with the kids during this special time. If any of you have any ideas, please leave them in the comment section. I can use all the help I can get!

Christmas is a wonderful time of year, and rightly so as we celebrate the birth of Jesus, but I think Easter (though it doesn't get as much "commercial" recognition) is even more important. It is the time that we remember Jesus' purpose. We remember WHY the "babe in the manger" left the perfection of heaven and came to this sinful earth. Why he took the form of a frail human. It was to die for sinners like me, who was given forgiveness when I don't deserve it. THAT is something we should remember, not only at Easter, but every day!

1 comment:

  1. I had a friend in college who gave up unconventional things for Lent -- things like negative self-talk. I thought that was an interesting idea.

    Our NY church has two congregational fasting days each year -- one the week before Thanksgiving, and one on Ash Wednesday. Those who could go without eating for a day would do so, and others would choose another way to fast (not food). People would gather in the evening with their small groups to break the fast together.

    Have you ever read "The Rag Man" -- I forget the author. It's an allegory of Christ's exchange for our sin.

    ReplyDelete