Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Blessed are you when men hate you......

I've been so blessed by the ministry of the radio program "Revive Our Hearts". I don't have the opportunity to listen to the program "live" on the radio, but I listen to it on their website:

www.reviveourhearts.com

Last week I was browsing around the website and I stumbled upon a series of talks called "Countercultural Woman". It was a long series of talks that Nancy Leigh DeMoss did back in February on Proverbs 31. For each 30 minute program she discussed each verse of Proverbs 31. I cannot express how blessed I have been by these programs. Proverbs 31 is one of my favorite passages of Scripture, and these talks have made it more "alive" and applicable to me than I ever thought possible. It has also been very convicting in many areas of my life. One of the most convicting, however, has been in the area of personal devotions and quiet time with the Lord each day. I have been very sporadic in this area. I've had all the good intentions in the world, but also all the excuses in the world for NOT spending time in prayer and Bible reading. I have renewed my commitment in this area, and am hoping with God's help to make this a regular daily practice.

In the past I have tried the "read the Bible in a year" schedules, and I've not been very successful. I really get "unmotivated" when I spend day after day reading Numbers and some of the other books of the Old Testament (minor prophets, etc.). It's not that those books aren't important, or that there isn't jewels of wisdom that can be gleaned from those passages....it's just that, well.... they're kind of boring. I hate to say that, but unless you are a theologian or a really smart history whiz....it's hard to get through those particular books of the Bible. So, I decided to start reading the book of Luke. In part, because it is the story of Jesus, and also because it is the book of the Bible that our former pastor encouraged Scott to read before Scott became a Christian. I've read Luke before, but it's been a long time since I've read it from beginning to end.

In my reading, there are a couple of verses that literally jumped off the page, and fits a situation that I am in, and has answered my questions and doubts about that situation. The passage is:

Luke 6:22-23
Blessed are you when men hate you,
when they exclude you and insult you
and reject your name as evil,
because of the Son of Man.
Rejoice in that day and leap for joy,
because great is your reward in heaven.
For that is how their fathers treated the prophets.

About a month ago, a couple of people (not Christians) whom I have known for a long time and thought of as friends said something very derogatory, untrue, and mean about me. I could not understand why. I have gone through all of the emotions of being hurt, sad, angry, disappointed, etc. I have searched my heart, and I know that I have done nothing to deserve this treatment. I have been praying for peace in this situation, and that someday these broken relationships will be mended. When I read Luke 6:22-23...it was like God was actually speaking to me through those verses. Those people actually verbalized those things....hate, excluding, insulting, and rejecting me. Then POW....realization struck....it's because they see Christ in me!! Christ in me makes them feel uncomfortable and convicted so they lash out. They insult my intelligence, they call me a hypocrite....all because what they really can't stand, is Christ.

John 3:19-21
"This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

They love the darkness and hate the light.

John 6:23 says that I should rejoice and leap for joy because my reward will be great in heaven! It's hard to fathom rejoicing when someone mistreats you, but if they are mistreating me because when they look at me, they see Jesus...then what a blessing! I CAN rejoice!

I still feel sadness over the broken relationships. I feel hurt because words are so powerful and can be so destructive, and once spoken can never be taken back. I feel anger because I was wronged. But mostly I feel pity for them because they are so lost and will spend eternity in hell if God does not call them unto Himself.

Though it is hard, I will continue to pray for those people, and for continued peace in this situation.

Thank you God for your Word, for your promises in Scripture, and for your grace, mercy and peace in every situation.












No comments:

Post a Comment