Thursday, May 6, 2010

ABCs of May, E is for....





E is for…..

Election.

This past Tuesday was midterm primary elections in many states. It was predicted that there would be a 10% voter turn out. 10%!!! That is shameful!

Voter apathy has become epidemic in this country. I know that it is hard to get excited about an election, especially a primary election. I have been known to have voter apathy in the past myself. I have come to realize what a privilege it is to be able to vote! There are so many countries that have no choice about who is in charge. They would give anything to be able to have the freedoms that we are so fortunate to have.

As we were driving home from the polls on Tuesday, I started to think about voting and voter apathy. In the kid’s school, we just finished studying the Suffrage movement. Did you realize that women fought for over 70 YEARS to win the right to vote?!?! Women like Susan B. Anthony, Lucretia Mott, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Sojourner Truth, and Amelia Bloomer were the first to start the fight and never lived to see a time when women could vote. Women finally won the right to vote in 1920. Here it is, 90 years later, only 20 years longer than it took for women to win the right to vote, and women today think politics are “stupid”, or “my vote won’t matter”, or “I don’t know who to vote for”. In the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, there was nothing a woman wanted more than to be able to vote. I wonder if those women would have worked so tirelessly, or fought so hard had they known that less than 100 years later, the attitude of so many women is one of apathy, disinterest, and complacency.

It is important who we have in authority over us as we must submit to their authority and obey the laws that they implement.


I don’t like what I am seeing happen to my country. There is so much political corruption. Politicians who forget that they work for us, the American people. Politicians who are only in Washington to further their agendas, and not because they want to follow the Constitution. In November we have the opportunity to make a difference in the direction that this country is taking. I want MY voice to be heard. Let your voice be heard too. VOTE!



Lucretia Mott

Elizabeth Cady Stanton








Sojourner Truth


Hebrews 13:17-19

Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.

18 Pray for us. We are sure that we have a clear conscience and desire to live honorably in every way. 19 I particularly urge you to pray so that I may be restored to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment