Tuesday, May 18, 2010

ABC's of May: O is for......

O is for....
Olivia's Birthday.

Ok, so IDEALLY I wanted to write this post on Saturday, which was her actual birthday, but...it didn't happen. So, better late than never!

On Saturday, my baby turned 10!! I still can't believe I don't have any more single-digiters in the house!

Since it was Saturday, she slept in. When she woke up...the first thing she said was, "I don't feel any different!!" I asked her, "What, did you think 10 would feel different than 9?" She said, "Yeah, I thought I would at least be taller.....I don't FEEL taller!" I had to chuckle at that.

It's amazing how much emphasis is placed on turning older...and yet the difference of 1 day just doesn't feel any different!

She had a good day. Traditionally this is how we celebrate birthday's. The celebration doesn't start until supper time. The birthday person gets to choose what they want for dinner. After we eat, we do the cake and then they open presents. They get 3 presents, 1 from me, 1 from dad, and 1 from their sibling.

She was pretty patient until it got to be around 3:oo, then she started getting really anxious for the "party" to start! Scott ordered the pizza around 4:00, and he and the kids went to Plymouth to pick it up. I can't eat pizza, so I got to eat leftovers! :)

After pizza and cake, she opened her gifts. From me she got a couple of new outfits, and some clothes for her 18" doll. My mom actually made the doll clothes for her, because I am a terrible seamstress. From her dad, she got a Disney MP3 player, and from Travis she got a mini van for her dollhouse dolls. She was very happy with all of her gifts!

I just love having a daughter! She is so much fun. She is the ULTIMATE girly girl. She loves all things girl. Her favorite color is purple. She loves nice clothes and "make-up". She loves babies, and puppies, and kittens. Her favorite toys are stuffed animals, Polly Pocket, Barbies, dolls, and her dollhouse. She can be very helpful (when she's in the "mood"). Lately, she has LOVED helping me cook. It's actually fun having her help, because she is an actual HELP, and not a hindrance. She also has lately, liked going shopping with me. That too is now fun. She is getting old enough not to "beg" me for everything she sees, and willingly takes no for an answer when she doesn't get what she wants at the store. She is very smart and was able to skip a grade.

She has her faults too (like all of us). She is very stubborn, and loses her temper quickly. When she gets an idea in her head, it is very hard to persuade her otherwise. I am praying that those qualities can be used for good, because it is not always a bad thing to be stubborn. The quick temper thing needs to GO though!

I always wanted 2 boys, and when I first discovered that I was pregnant with her, I was hoping for another boy. As the pregnancy proceeded, God softened my heart, and I began to think that having a little girl might not be so bad. When she was born, and indeed WAS a girl. I can truthfully say that I was glad, and that I didn't regret that she was a girl.

Raising a girl is so totally different than raising a boy. In some ways boys are easier. I can already see "hormones" beginning in her, and that will certainly be a challenge when the time comes. How wonderful it is though, that God has created boys and girls, men and women to be so different.

I am so blessed to have the family that I have, with my boy AND my girl!


Psalms 127:3-5

Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him.

Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.

Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their enemies in the gate.


No comments:

Post a Comment